Our textile art group was lucky enough to have a Golden products demo recently. The inks, mediums, paints and unlimited potential of these products is amazing.
The blog post for the demo is here at Reddy Arts Golden Demo.
The products that related to my work involved “grounds” or digital grounds being painted onto plastic to create a base that could then be put through a printer. The grounds enabled the print media to stick to surfaces, like layers of acrylic paint, tin cans, aluminium foil, copper shim and all sorts of things you would never think of putting into the printer. Or the ground can be painted by itself and then printed, leaving a translucent layer that can be stitched or used. Below are some of the demo items that Nancy Stockman from Golden Products had to show.
The demo was FULL of information, some i’ll note here that may be of interest:
– Use blue painters tape across the top and left hand side of your item and stick it to an A4 page which allows it to be pulled into the printer and printed on. The painters tape is safe release.
– where possible use the rear tray on the printer for the straightest path.
– Modern GESSO is best to be avoided due to poor manufacture.
– Paste is white when dry. Gel dries clear.
– anything containing a gum arabic will re-wet. Golden products do not use Gum -Arabic
– use your water wash up bucket to dye fabrics. Golden products pigment are so saturated that they dye fabric.
– white paint – Titanium is opaque and when tinted with red, lightens to pink
– white paint – Zinc white is see through and just pull the colour back. i.e.: it has a more subtle influence.
– Archival spray varnish, sprayed lightly over printed items or fabric will make it fixed and stop fading.
-Fold fabric instead of cutting it to A4 to put it through the printer.
– HDPE polycarbonate products are great for painting on as a palette or as a base, because the paint does not stick and can be removed. This is different from Perspex, which paint will stick to.
For more information on these products check out the website…Golden Products