Recently I found the most fascinating yarn, that I knew I had to make into brain coral. I purchased the cream version and set about freeform knitting also called scrumbling it into form.
This piece was to be part of an exhibition that required me to do a 3D piece. By itself the coral did not quite fit the bill so I then went about creating the scene!
Using a water soluble stabiliser I made two sea urchins. One used a base of silk, and the other no base was used, just the thread and solvy. Then while wet I stuffed them with polyfill and pressed the centre down and formed the shape.
Also using solvy I created a branch of freestanding coral. Inserting wire into the design it became a free standing piece.